Friday, October 2, 2009


I am sorry I haven't updated the blog in a while. I guess everything is just the same ol' thing. That is good, I guess, meaning we have had a routine. This week David and I traveled to Lima to begin working on getting our visas. If you recall, we lost our visas during our furlough due to a change in the immigration laws. The new law states that we cannot be out of the country more than 6 months or lose our visas, so we lost them. We had considered traveling to Peru in January for a couple of days just to say we had been in the country but that would have been, literally, thousands of dollars. While it will cost us a few hundred to get new visas and carnets for all 6 of us that is much cheaper. So, David and I traveled to Lima by bus on Tuesday afternoon, spent 1/2 hour at interpol (international FBI), had our fingerprints taken 18 times (I am not joking), our teeth checked (for future identification if necessary) and our mug shots taken. All this now goes to the FBI in the USA and when they clear us then we move on to the next step of actually receiving our visas and being able to get our carnets. The children don't need to pass for all of this since they are too young to be criminals :) Hopefully at the end of November all 6 of us will go to Lima for the last step. This last step usually requires several hours of waiting and waiting and waiting. The children are dreading it, they remember the last time! We will take a sack lunch, books, and games just in case. David spoke at a church on the other side of Lima Wednesday night. Since it was rush hour (why do they call it that?) it took us an 1 1/2 of bumper to bumper (literally) traffic. So glad I took some dramamine before that trip. The same route only took us 30 minutes to get home! Thursday we spent a little while at Fetzer (MK school through which we homeschool) then headed back to the bus station. We arrived home last evening at 10 PM. The children enjoyed 2 great days in Chimbote with their cousins, Uncle Steve and Aunt Molly. Grandpa and Grandma Stilwell joined them on Thursday. They traveled home, by bus, last evening arriving 10 minutes after we did. Thanks Stan and Ruth for housing us in Lima!

No comments: